Yes, it’s that time of the year again. I’m sure by now everyone is feeling rather jaded at resolutions, thinking they’re kind of pointless and what not… But for me they are useful ways of having at least a few clear short term goals in life. Since on 2011 and 2012 I only managed to complete 6 out of 9 resolutions, I’m keeping it more focused this year.
1. Read 60 books. For 2013, I decided to cut back on my yearly reading goal. This is the year when I have to finish my Master’s thesis, so I’ll have to concentrate on research and not so much on recreational reading (not that I don’t enjoy my research, quite the contrary). Also, because of financial reasons, I need to cut back on how much I spend on books, so I’m going to try to only read the books on my To-Read pile (some have been there for years) and borrow books from friends, instead of getting new ones.
2. Get a job. This is a tough one. I do have a lot of work to do but I’d like to have a steady professional life. Since I’m finishing my Master’s, this will eventually become my top priority.
3. Brush up on Spanish and French. I plan on continuing to study Mandarin, but I’ve noticed that I tend to forget a lot of vocabulary when I’m not using all the languages I know. French and Spanish have suffered the most, so I want to take some time this year to brush up on those skills.
4. Write my master’s thesis. Not actually a resolution, since I don’t have a choice of not doing it. Still, it will be a milestone in my life, and after spending so much time working towards it, it’s definitely achieved the status of “major goal”.
5. Visit at least 50 exhibitions. It sounds like a lot, but they don’t all need to be blockbusters. Sometimes small, independent exhibitions are the best. I’ve never actually bothered counting the number of exhibitions I go to, so I have no idea is this is realistic or not. It might even be too easy. We’ll see.
Happy New Year everyone! And if you have any resolutions, I’d love to know what they are.
The image on top of this post was taken in my family’s village, atop the castle. For 2013, I would also love to get back into photographing for myself, and not just for work. It’s not a resolution, just a general wish.